"Your time is limited so don't waste it living someone else's life.
Don't be trapped by Dogma which is living with the results of other people's thinking.
Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become."
- Steve Jobs

Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Perfect Day

Yesterday was one of the nicest days I've had for a long time. Double glazing man was very nice and not scary in any way, despite having a George Hamilton PermaTan. He quoted me £1460 for 5 windows which is apparently around the price I should be paying, and he will knock it down to £1350 it I decide within this week. But I've got a few more coming to quote me first so no rush.

It was such a lovely sunny day and after he had left I set about raking and levelling the back garden. After receiving quotes of £150 to rotorvate it, I dug it up myself, then after receiving a ludicrous quote of £360 to rake and level it, I did that myself too. It's amazing what you can push yourself to do when you've not got the £ to pay others to do it!

I wheeled the rat cage to the open patio doors and stood it in the sun - the rats were hilarious, they had never smelt fresh outdoors air or felt the sun on their fur before. Their eyes boggled and they power-sniffed the air to within an inch of their lives. Then they settled down to sunbathe, watching me as I pottered about with my rake, throwing clods of grass into a big worm-infested pile.

After about 3 hours, the earth was flat and raked - not perfect but good enough for seeding. I went out shopping for plant seeds, bulbs and a Hydrangea bush, it was great to be driving around in the sun FINALLY after the endless winter of greyness.

I got back and pottered some more in the sun, planting seeds while Tony Bennett played on my stereo and the Devil Child across the alley screamed and crashed about in his junk-food induced frenzy. The rats dozed and power-sniffed the air some more.

It was a lovely day for me mainly because a) the sun was out and it was warm, b) I got loads of stuff done, and c) I felt happy and secure because now I'm buying out Alan's share of the house, it is truly MY house, and nobody can take it off me. I'm not dependent on anyone to help me pay for it, and nobody can threaten to take it from me.

I've decided I never want to live under a threat like that, nor have to depend on someone else in order to live my life. The house is mine and will remain MINE only, no matter who does or doesn't come into my life in the future. It will always be there for me to fall back on, whatever happens. I can do what I want when I want and where I want, and not have to be answerable to anyone else, to have to compromise for them, not have to negotiate with them. At the minute that kind of security makes me very happy indeed.

Some girls can't function without a man in their life, some don't have a choice as they need that person and their second income in order to live or to buy a house. I am very lucky that I don't need to be in that situation any more, and that my parents were sensible and careful with money and were able to help me buy the house out and keep it for myself. It's also made me more determined to be careful with my money and to invest it well and always have it to fall back on in my future years.

No comments: