"Your time is limited so don't waste it living someone else's life.
Don't be trapped by Dogma which is living with the results of other people's thinking.
Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become."
- Steve Jobs

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The American argument part 4!

My Yank friend has responded to my email in which I quoted Michal's comment from my earlier blog: Here is what he says:


Now is a good time for me to lay out the basic assumptions that I bring into all discussions regarding current events. This way you can better understand where I am coming from:

1. Western civilization is superior to all other civilizations.
2. Judeo/Christianity is the foundation on which Western civilization is built.
3. Market capitalism and competition is the best way to spread wealth and financial security to the greatest number of people.
4. Constitutional democracy is messy, clumsy, frustrating and slow. It is also proves to be the best form of government to have if you want to live in peace and prosperity.
5. The UK and the USA have done more than any other nations to spread peace, prosperity, enlightenment and to protect freedom than all other nations of the world combined. PERIOD!!

I base these on my observation and study of history.

Regarding your last email: paragraph three says "Sources can be cited to prove two different and yet plausible sides to any argument" True enough. In such cases the disagreement is ended simply by rejecting that which is outside the bounds of logic and reason. Any argument that is too convoluted must be rejected. The simplest explanation is always the better one. {OCCAM's Razor}

I referred him to the Oscar Wilde quote at the top of this blog! And he has now replied:

"I'll side with Mr. Occam when it comes to truth. Mr. Wilde was far too debauched to rely on, for anything.

BTW.....for future discussions bear in mind that I do not view the British people as European, that would be an insult.

I strongly suggest you seal off the Chunnel and stay as far away from France and Germany as you can. Britain's future wealth and happiness would be better served with closer ties to Japan and your cousins the Australia and the US.

Mainland Europe will only prove to be a drag on the proud, strong and free people of the UK.

PS....make sure Ken Livingston is in the Chunnel when you seal it off. OK?"

No comments: