"Your time is limited so don't waste it living someone else's life.
Don't be trapped by Dogma which is living with the results of other people's thinking.
Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become."
- Steve Jobs

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Graduation Day :@

It's Graduation Week here at the Uni - and you can't walk anywhere without being shoved out the way by enthusiastic mums in flowery dresses taking multiple photos of their kid in a stupid gown and hat.  One bint barged into me, didn't say sorry, I tutted and she tutted back at me even louder.  I resisted the urge to scream "your kid with a £10,000 student debt will be working in admin in 6 months time, bint!!!"

I'm sure lots of the graduates will go on to illustrious careers - but many will fall by the wayside thanks to the oversubscribed graduate job market.  We had an Economics Graduate working a £12k admin job at my last workplace, cos there was "nothing out there for her".

The air crackles with a sort of smug pride that just irritates me, as all parents look forward to talking to everyone about "my son - the one with the degree......", as if "getting a degree" is the passport to a fabulous life of success and wealth.  Far from it.

Bah humbug!  I'm just sitting here bored shitless as I want to get going to CE, the clock is ticking backwards, I've nowt to do here and everything to do at home - ARGH! 

No comments: