"Your time is limited so don't waste it living someone else's life.
Don't be trapped by Dogma which is living with the results of other people's thinking.
Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become."
- Steve Jobs

Friday, January 06, 2006

£1.10 for a spud and Happy Birthday

Well I'm 34 today .... my pressie from Alan (The Aviator DVD) has not arrived, he ordered it from Amazon and it's late. Should have bloody ordered it earlier dammit!

My brother has forgotten too I think, I'm still waiting for my Xmas pressie from him (Batman Begins DVD), let alone a sign that he's remembered his own sister's birthday too.

Nobody is in work cos it's not term time yet, and I've spent today doing very little. So I went to the canteen for lunch to treat myself. Paid £4.60 for a "cottage pie" that was smaller than my hand, plus a portion of chips. The Cottage Pie was £3.50 so that means I just paid £1.10 for what amounts to less than a full potato, fried so much that half of them were too crispy and inedible to eat.

What a ripoff! It's my birthday FFs give me a free meal you gits!

So the canteen was ultra crowded and it was like back to school days as I hunted for somewhere to sit with my tray, seeking out the cliquey groups sitting together and trying to avoid them, while trying not to look like a saddo who lunches alone - on her birthday!

Found a table with some academic types wah-wahing at the other end so sat down next to three empty chairs and tucked into my overpriced birthday meal. Soon enough, three young girls asked if I was meeting anyone and if not could they sit down, so I said sure, help yourself.

They all looked in their early twenties, but as they started to talk it came out that they were all married and most of them had kids. OMG, girls you look as if you should be pubbing and shopping not talking about your husbands and where to take the kids this weekend? Then I realised that a lot of people in their mid twenties actually DID get married and have kids, and I suddenly felt very Spinsterish - but in a good way - like I'd somehow survived to 34 and was still unblemished by marriage.

Then one of the girls started going on about her husband who was a Marine Biologist somethingorother, and how he goes to "Algae club" once a month, where him and a bunch of other enviros look at green gunge under microscopes. It was hard to keep a straight face as she talked about it, I'm sure they saw me trying not to laugh....."darling I'll be back later, I'm going to Algae Club" ...."OK dear, bring me back some Spongiforms..."

Another one then started to talk about her hobby of BEEKEEPING - at that point I finsihed my bland Cottage Pie and left my crispy chips and departed the surreal table of too-young-to-be-married girls. I wonder what they'd have thought if I'd said it was my birthday, I'm 34 and unmarried and quite happy about that? And that I can go and do what and where I want when I want, I have no kids to tie me down, I keep rats, scuba dive, chase warplanes, and sew cozy beds for furry mammals. Would they have thought there was something wrong with me? That I *should* have a ring on my finger at 34?

I think there is a kind of twilight period for us older girls where we get to a point where people think you are a freak cos you've not got a husband....but if you persevere and carry on without said husband, they then become envious of your life and your freedom. They also become pissed off when you slink into the room cellulite-free and stretch-mark free in your tiny dress that still fits, and flirt with their husbands. Hahaha!
So now back in the office, waiting for some work to do, and thinking of things to blog. Also having a good laugh at http://www.i-am-bored.com/.

Birthdays huh?

No comments: