"Your time is limited so don't waste it living someone else's life.
Don't be trapped by Dogma which is living with the results of other people's thinking.
Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become."
- Steve Jobs

Friday, January 14, 2005

Would you like this seat ma'am?

I perused an interesting thread on Handbag.com's chat forum today, about people not giving up their seats on crowded buses or trains. Initially it started off as a discussion about pregnant women not being given a seat, but then took a turn towards people offering their seats in general.

Some people posted to say that their mums had got offended when a man had offered them his seat. They took it as an insult that this man had thought they looked "old" enough to offer a seat too - errrrr excuse me? Men offer me seats on buses but I don't get all huffy at them and scream "do I look like a pensioner???" in their faces! It's simply manners, that's all. Either accept the seat or politely decline, don't throw a strop!

I for one am glad to see acts of chivalry still being performed in this coldhearted day and age of "Girl Power" and equality and other such crap. I truly feel sorry for men nowadays, the little dears don't know how to act with women - do they hold open the door, or do they not bother?

My mate Andy once said "If women want equality then do we show them consideration anymore, or do we just treat 'em like one of the lads?" He remembered holding a door open for a woman once, and she walked through it without a sideways glance at him or a thank you. He called after her "you're welcome" and she still ignored him. He then resolved to not bother the next time.

Other times women have looked at him as if to say "do you think I'm too feeble to hold it open?" I mean, SORT IT OUT GIRLS!!! Let them be gentlemen, say thank you, be grateful they have noticed you and are considering you! It's not a question of equality in my eyes, it's just manners, plain and simple manners. So if a man offers you a seat on the bus, just take it and be pleasant about it. As my other friend Greg says: "The good manners of a gentleman can only be appreciated by a lady".

No comments: